Office: 4-112 Mathematics Building
Dept. Phone: (631)-632-8290
Cheryl Bishop's homepage
David Bishop's homepage
FALL 2023: Webpage for MAT 670, Fall 2023 Topics course in complex analysis: Desssin d'enfants, quasiconformal folding, and applications. Tu-Th 11:30-12:50, Physics P-117 (moved from Frey Hall 224).
In Spring 2024 I will teach MAT 536, the core course in one complex variable. I expect to use the textbook to be "Complex Analysis" by Don Marshall.
Webpages for courses from previous semesters (1999-present)
Stony Brook course evaluations Requires NetID and password. Can search by class or instructor, e.g., "MAT 331" or "Bishop".
Recordings of Fall 2020 topics class on Weil-Petersson curves, class webpage
Recordings of Spring 2022 topics class on conformal fractals, class webpage
Papers: this is a list of my papers and preprints with abstracts in TeX format.
Lectures these are transparencies for some of my recent talks.
My Wikipedia page .
Short bio on the SUNY Distinguished Academy Member Profiles. Search for "Bishop".
Vita: Here is a copy of my vita, a list of my papers (no abstracts) and other information related to my research.
Harmonic Measure: Algorithms and Applications
my contribution to the proceedings of the 2018 ICM in Rio de Janeiro.
This gives a survey of topics involving planar harmonic measure, roughly
from Makarov's theorems in the 1980's up to the present, with an
emphasis on topics of interest to me: dimension of harmonic measure,
rectifiability, hyperbolic 3-manifolds and Klienian groups, conformal
welding, numerical conformal mappings, optimal meshing, dessins d'enfants
and transcendental dynamics.
Video of my ICM lecture.
Probability and Analysis book by Christopher Bishop
and Yuval Peres. Cambridge Studies in Advanced Mathematics, vol 162, January 2017.
Cambridge University Press , Amazon , endorsements , known typos and errors , Review by Tushar Das for MAA , Math Review by David A. Croydon ,
Shanghai ranking of math departments. In 2020 Stony Brook was listed 16th in world, 9th in US.
• "Modern Applied and Computational Analysis" (In honor of Coifman, Jones and Rokhlin), ICERM 26-30 June, 2023. Organizers: Anna Gilbert, Yale University; Roy Lederman, Yale University; Gilad Lerman, University of Minnesota; Per-Gunnar Martinsson, University of Oxford; Andrea Nahmod, University of Massachusetts Amherst; Kirill Serkh, University of Toronto; Christoph Thiele, University of Bonn; Sijue Wu, University of Michigan Website .
• "Quasiworld Workshop" (Mario Bonk 60th Birthday), University of Helsinki, 14-18 August, 2023. Organizers: Sylvester Eriksson-Bique, Mikhail Hlushchanka, Annina Iseli, Daniel Meyer, Dimitrios Ntalampekos, Pekka Pankka, Kirsi Peltonen, Eero Saksman. Website .
• "Complex Dynamics: from special families to natural generalizations in one and several variables", MSRI program, Spring 2022. Workshops Feb 7-11 and May 2-6. Organizers: Sarah Koch (University of Michigan), Jasmin Raissy (Institut de Mathématiques de Toulouse), Dierk Schleicher (Université d'Aix-Marseille (AMU)), Mitsuhiro Shishikura (Kyoto University), Dylan Thurston (Indiana University). Program Website .
• " The Analysis and Geometry of Random Spaces", MSRI program, Spring 2022. Workshops Jan 24-28 and Mar 28 - Apr 1. Organizers: Mario Bonk (University of California, Los Angeles), Joan Lind (University of Tennessee), Steffen Rohde (University of Washington), Eero Saksman (University of Helsinki), Fredrik Viklund (Royal Institute of Technology), Jang-Mei Wu (University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign). Program Website .
• "Computational Methods and Function Theory" (CMFT 2021) to be held 10–14 January 2022. Online, hosted by The Federico Santa María Technical University in Valparaíso, Chile. Conference Website .
• "Symposium on Discrete Algorithms (SODA22)", Jan 10 -12, 2022, Alexandria, VA. Conference Website .
• “On geometric complexity of Julia sets - III”, September 26 to October 1, 2021. Stefan Banach International Mathematical Center, IMPAN Mathematical Research and Conference Center in Będlewo, Poland. Conference Website .
• "Advancing Bridges in Complex Dynamics" in Luminy, September 20-24, 2021. Conference Website .
• Mathematical Congress of the Americas, July 19-23, 2021. Conference Website .
• FRG Workshop on geometric methods for analyzing discrete shapes Harvard University, Center of Mathematical Sciences and Applications, May 7-9, 2021.
• Transcendental Dynamics and Beyond: topics in complex dynamics 2021, Centre de Recerca Matemàtica, Barcelona, April 19-23, 2021.
• Analysis, Dynamics, Geometry and Probability: March 2-6, 2020 SCGP, Stony Brook March 9, 2020 .
• Low-dimensional and Complex Dynamics . December 2-6, 2019, Bernoulli Center at EPFL, Lausanne, Switzerland.
• Illustrating Dynamics and Probability ICERM, Providence RI, Nov 11 - 15, 2019.
• Analytic Low-Dimensional Dynamics: a celebration of Misha Lyubich's 60th birthday Fields Institute, University of Toronto, May 27 - June 7, 2019 .
• International Congress of Mathematicians Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, August 1-9, 2018 .
ICM TV 2018 YouTube videos produced by WebsEdge including lectures, interviews (e.g., Etienne Guys, Cedric Villani, Ingrid Daubechies, Sir Michael Atiyah ) and promotional videos for various organizations, including Stony Brook's IMS , Microsoft Research , Swiss MAP .
• Analysis and Geometry of Random Shapes IPAM-UCLA, January 7-11, 2019, schedule of talks and links to videos.
• Topics in Geometric Function Theory Les Diablerets, Switzerland, February 11-16, 2018 . Swiss Rail map
SCGP Spring School on Discrete and Computational Geometry: April 17-21, 2017
Conference on Geometry, Analysis and Probability
Korea Institute for Advanced Study, May 8-12, 2017
Organizers: Christopher J. Bishop (Stony Brook), Nam-Gyo Kang (KIAS), Raanan Schul (Stony Brook), Ignacio Uriarte-Tuero (Michigan State). Conference on Geometry, Analysis and Probability . Korea Institute for Advanced Study, May 8-12, 2017
Organizers: Christopher J. Bishop (Stony Brook), Nam-Gyo Kang (KIAS), Raanan Schul (Stony Brook), Ignacio Uriarte-Tuero (Michigan State). Mail to "pj2017 at math stonybrook edu" will be forwarded to all the organizers.
• Special Session on Geometric Measure Theory and Its Applications AMS Spring 2016 Eastern Sectional Meeting. SUNY Stony Brook, session organizers: Matthew Badger, Christopher J. Bishop, Raanan Schul
• Makarov Conference, Saas Fee Switzerland, March 6-11, 2016
Connections between analysis and computational geometry A workshop at SoCG 2012,
UNC Chapel Hill, Monday, June 18, 2012.
• Coifman-Jones-Rokhlin conference, Yale, June 4-6, 2012. Conference Poster
• Workshop on Computational and Conformal Geometry April 20-22, 2007
Jack Burkart's 2021 thesis, "Transcendental Julia Sets with Fractional Packing Dimension". His webpage at Stony Brook. His webpage at Wisconsin.
Kiriil Lazebnik's 2017 thesis, "Several constructions in the Eremenko-Lyubich class". His webpage at Toronto. His webpage at Univ North Texas.
Chris Green's 2011 Thesis: "The Ahlfors iteration for determining Schwarz-Christoffel parameters". Currently at Twitter.
Hrant Hakobyan's 2006 thesis, "Conformal dimension of Cantor sets and curve families in the plane. Central sets of Hausdorff dimension 2". His webpage,
Karyn Lundberg's 2005 Thesis: "Boundary behavior of uniformly convergent conformal maps". Currently at Lincoln Labs.
Zusanna Gonye's 2001 PhD thesis "Dimension of escaping geodesics" . Departament head, Eötvös Loránd University Savaria University Center, Sopron, Hungary. webpage,
TAMS paper based on Gonye's thesis
12 essays on teaching math . These are appendices to Steve Ktrntz's book "How to teach mathematics".
Journals: this is a list of some links to online journal archives.
People: some links to mathematicians with related interests.
Tutorial on C-programming C-Programming, U. of Strathcylde, Glasgow
Travel : Links to campus map, ferry schedules, train schedules, airlines.
Stony Brook Academic Calendars
Stony Brook Solar System login
NSF graduate fellowship application webpage. NSF MSPRF program solicitation.
IMS video for ICM 2018
SBU mail .
SBU Virtual SINC site:
Simons Summer Research Program for high school students at Stony Brook University
Mathematics Summer Program for high school students at Stony Brook University
American Math Society list of Summer Programs for high school students
CCT REU: Interdisciplinary Research Experience in Computational Sciences, Louisiana State, Baton Rouge.
REU at the Scripps Institution of Oceanography, UC San Diego, in La Jolla, California
Various student summer programs at NSA and description of the Director's Summer Program at NSA for math and CS majors for math and CS majors.