Master of Arts Degree (Professional Option)
The minimum requirements for admission to this program are:
- A bachelor’s degree with a major in mathematics or equivalent mathematical training.
- Evidence that the student is likely to succeed:
- This must include three letters of recommendation from mathematicians, usually the applicant’s current or former teachers.
- A complete transcript of previous college studies including grades in all mathematics courses.
- Scores on the Graduate Record Examination (GRE general). The mathematics subject test is not required.
- Acceptance by both the Mathematics Department and the Graduate School.
Requirements of the Professional-Option MA Degree in Mathematics
In addition to the requirements of the Graduate School, the following are required
- Completion of 30 credits in graduate courses approved by the department with a 3.0 overall grade point average.
- Passing either the PhD comprehensive examination, or the separate MA comprehensive exam.
- The MA comprehensive exam consists of the final examinations in MAT 530, MAT 531, MAT 534, MAT 535, MAT 542, MAT 544, and MAT 550, or the equivalent.
- A nine-credit minor. The minor program consists of three courses in an allied area such as applied mathematics, statistics, computer science, or theoretical physics.
Deadlines for Applications:
- for Fall admission May 5
- for Spring admission Nov 15
Applications must be submitted online at app.applyyourself.com/?id=sunysb-gs. This site contains detailed instructions.
You can find this site on the Graduate home page
To apply to the Masters (Professional Option) program, you need to fill out an application form and include the following material:
- A statement of purpose, describing your background and interests
- Official transcripts from all colleges and universities attended
- At least three recommendation letters; this is the most important part of your application
- Test scores. All applicants are required to take the GRE General test; subject GRE tests, including the GRE Math Test, are not required.
- Application fee (currently $100)
GRE scores (general scores only) must be received by the university in electronic form from ETS; photocopies of your test report are not acceptable. To have the scores sent to us, use the following codes:
Department code: 0703
Stony Brook University Institution code: 2548
Please have your transcripts and any recommendation letters sent directly to the mathematics dept:
Stony Brook University
Mathematics Dept - 3651
100 Nicolls Road
Stony Brook NY 11794-3651
Attn: Donna McWilliams
Please direct questions to the Director of this Program:
Professor Marco Martens 631-632-4893 marco AT math.sunysb.edu
Or the Graduate Program Coordinator:
Donna McWilliams 631-632-8282 donna AT math.sunysb.edu