Applying to the PhD program
To apply to the Ph.D. program, you need to fill out an application form and include the following material:
- A statement of purpose, describing your background and interests
- Official transcripts from all colleges and universities attended
- At least three recommendation letters; this is the most important part of your application
- Test scores. All applicants are required to take the GRE General test; subject GRE tests, including the GRE Math Test, are not required. Applicants whose native language is not English must also take the TOEFL test. The minimum TOEFL score required for admission is 550 (for paper-based test)=213 (computer-based)=90 (internet-based).
- Application fee (currently $100)
Applications must be submitted online at app.applyyourself.com/?id=sunysb-gs. This site contains detailed instructions. You should also check the web page of Stony Brook University Graduate School and in particular the Graduate Bulletin, which contains a listing of all rules and policies, currently offered graduate courses, and more. (Some of the information in the Bulletin, such as the faculty listings, can be slightly outdated.)
Important note: Our PhD program is primarily concerned with the promotion of research in pure mathematics. Students whose primary interests lie in applied mathematicsshould therefore consider directing their inquiries to the Department of Applied Mathematics or the Department of Computer Science. These departments are completely separate from the Department of Mathematics, and have admissions processes which are entirely independent from ours.
GRE and TOEFL scores must be received by the university in electronic form from ETS; photocopies of your test report are not acceptable. To have the scores sent to us, use the following codes:
Department code: 0703
Stony Brook University Institution code: 2548
Transcripts must be sent directly to the department at the address below; recommendation letters can be submitted online or sent in paper form to the same address.
Stony Brook University
Mathematics Dept - 3651
100 Nicolls Road
Stony Brook, NY 11794-3651
Attn: Donna McWilliams
Admissions are generally for Fall semester only: with rare exceptions, we do not consider applications for the Spring semester. The deadline for all Fall 2016 applications is January 15, 2016.
All questions should be addressed to Graduate Secretary of the Math Department, Donna McWilliams, Donna.McWilliams@stonybrook.edu