The professional development seminar is a seminar for advanced (= third year
and above) graduate students and postdocs. It focuses on ALL issues of
relevant to young mathematicians.
Among the topics we may discuss: preparing application materials, career options outside academia, using TeX and TeX packages, mathematical writing,
creating webpages, creating blogs, time management, preparing and giving
and general discussions about doing
research. The organizers are Chris Bishop and Christian Schnell.
On this page, you can find a collection of resources for the seminar.
Funding Opportunities in the Mathematical Sciences
Deadlines are current as of August 2020.
NSF Graduate Research Fellowship
Program [Deadline 22 October 2020]
Graduate Fellowship. [Deadline November 3, 2020]
NSF Mathematical Sciences Postdoctoral Research
Fellowships. [Deadline 21 October 2020]
NSF Individual Grants.
- Algebra and Number Theory [Deadline October 9, 2020]
- Analysis [Window September 16–30, 2020]
- Applied Mathematics [Window November 1–16, 2020]
- Combinatorics [Deadline September 22, 2020]
- Computational Mathematics [Window November 16 – December 1, 2020]
- Foundations [Deadline September 22, 2020]
- Geometric Analysis [Deadline November 3, 2020]
- Mathematical Biology [Window August 20 – September 8, 2020
- Probability [Window September 10–25, 2020]
- Statistics [Window December 1–15, 2020]
- Topology [Deadline November 3, 2020]
NSF CAREER Grants. [Deadline 11 August 2020]
AMS-Simons Travel Grants. [Next cycle 1 February 1, 2021]
Simons Foundation Collaboration Grants for
Mathematicians. [Deadline January 30, 2020]
Mathematical Writing Resources
Early Career Section (Notices of the AMS)
Advice on Giving Research Talks
Resources for Publishing Papers
Resources for Coding Exercises
Resources for Jobs at Startups
Resources in Professional Ethics in the Mathematical Sciences
Job Application Websites
Samples of Job Application Documents
Writing a Teaching Philosophy Statement
Jason Starr's CV
file). You need
the class option file in order to compile the source.
Christian Schnell's CV
style file). You need the style file and the bibliography to compile this.
One of Jason Starr's old research statements
biblio database file).
One of Christian Schnell's research statements
One of Jason Starr's old teaching statements
One of Christian Schnell's teaching statements