The professional development seminar is a seminar for advanced (= third year
and above) graduate students and postdocs. It focuses on ALL issues of
relevant to young mathematicians.
Among the topics we may discuss: preparing application materials, career options outside academia, using TeX and TeX packages, mathematical writing,
creating webpages, creating blogs, time management, preparing and giving
and general discussions about doing
research. The organizers are Radu Laza and Christian Schnell.
On this page, you can find a collection of resources for the seminar.
Funding Opportunities in the Mathematical Sciences
Deadlines are current as of September 2017.
NSF Graduate Research Fellowship
Program [Deadline 27 October 2017]
Graduate Fellowship. [Deadline announced in
NSF Mathematical Sciences Postdoctoral Research
Fellowships. Deadline 18 October 2017]
NSF Individual Grants.
- Algebra and Number Theory [Deadline October 13, 2017]
- Analysis [Deadline October 3, 2017]
- Applied Mathematics [Window November 1–15, 2017]
- Combinatorics [Deadline October 3, 2017]
- Computational Mathematics [Window November 16 – December 1, 2017]
- Foundations [Deadline October 3, 2017]
- Geometric Analysis [Deadline November 7, 2017]
- Mathematical Biology [Window November 1–15, 2017
- Probability [Window October 23 – November 7, 2017]
- Statistics [Window October 23 – November 7, 2017]
- Topology [Deadline November 7, 2017]
NSF CAREER Grants. [Deadline 20 July 2018]
AMS-Simons Travel Grants. [Deadline March 31, 2018]
Simons Foundation Collaboration Grants for
Mathematicians. [Deadline has passed]
Mathematical Writing Resources
Advice on Giving Research Talks
Resources in Professional Ethics in the Mathematical Sciences
Job Application Websites
Samples of Job Application Documents
AMS Cover Sheet
Jason Starr's CV
file). You need
the class option file in order to compile the source.
Christian Schnell's CV
style file). You need the style file and the bibliography to compile this.
One of Jason Starr's old research statements
biblio database file).
One of Christian Schnell's research statements
One of Jason Starr's old teaching statements
One of Christian Schnell's teaching statements