Basic Algebra, Digital Second Edition
Published by the author, 2016.
Digital version in PDF only, freely distributed, not sold, has no ISBN.
A companion volume Advanced Algebra, Digital Second Edition,
It has no ISBN.
Preliminaries about the Integers, Polynomials, and Matrices
Vector Spaces over Q, R, and C
Groups and Group Actions
Theory of a Single Linear Transformation
Advanced Group Theory
Commutative Rings and Their Modules
Fields and Galois Theory
Modules over Noncommutative Rings
Appendix: Background Topics
The following files are available at the
Differences between the digital second
edition (2016) and the second printing of the first edition (2015):
- Front cover and whole inside of the book in PDF,
- Whole inside of the book in PDF,
- Front cover in JPG.
Corrections to the digital second edition:
- The front cover has been redone.
- Pages i through iv of the front matter are completely changed to
reflect the changed nature of the
- The term "revised edition" in the 2015 edition has been changed
to "second edition" in the 2016 edition.
- The preface to the revised/second edition has been rewritten.
- The order of the pages in the front matter has been changed, with
the table of contents adjusted appropriately.
- The font has been changed for the next-to-last page before page 1.
- Several of the figures have been improved so as to be more
visible on a screen.
- The pagebreaks on the last few pages of Chapter X have been
- A small mathematical error has been fixed on the bottom line of
page 330 of the 2016 edition.
- A small mathematical error has been fixed on lines 21--22 of page
337 of the 2016 edition.
- A small number of typographical errors, about three, have been
A list of corrections appears in the file below.
Corrections (2/15/2016) -
Last modified: 3/11/2016