in memory of Detlef Gromoll
SUNY Stony Brook, Stony Brook, NY
April 17-19, 2009
Detlef Gromoll (1938-2008)
Previous Geometry Festival Speakers
1985 at Penn:
- Marcel Berger
- Pat Eberlein
- Jost Eschenburg
- Friedrich Hirzebruch
- Blaine Lawson
- Leon Simon
- Scott Wolpert
- Deane Yang
1986 at Maryland:
- Uwe Abresch, "Explicit constant mean curvature tori"
- Zhi-yong Gao, "The existence of negatively Ricci curved metrics"
- David Hoffman, "New results in the global theory of minimal surfaces"
- Jack Lee, "Conformal geometry and the Yamabe problem"
- Ngai-ming Mok, "Compact Kähler manifolds of non-negative curvature"
- John Morgan, "Self dual connections and the topology of 4-manifolds"
- Chuu-lian Terng, "Submanifolds with flat normal bundle"
1987 at Penn:
- Robert Bryant, "The construction of metrics with exceptional holonomy"
- Francis Bonahon, "Hyperbolic 3-manifolds with arbitrarily short geodesics"
- Keith Burns, "Geodesic flows on the 2-sphere"
- Andreas Floer, "Instantons and Casson's invariant"
- Hermann Karcher, "Embedded minimal surfaces in the 3-sphere"
- Jürgen Moser, "Minimal foliations of tori"
- Ed Witten. "Applications of quantum field theory to topology"
1988 at North Carolina:
- Detlef Gromoll, "On complete spaces of non-negative Ricci
- Nicolas Kapouleas, "Constant mean curvature surfaces in
- Robert Osserman, "Gauss map of complete minimal surfaces"
- Pierre Pansu, "Lp-cohomology of negatively curved
- Peter Petersen, "Bounding homotopy types by geometry"
- Gang Tian, "Kähler-Einstein metrics on quasiprojective
- DaGang Yang, "Some new examples of manifolds of positive Ricci
- Wolfgang Ziller, "Recent results on Einstein metrics"
1989 at Stony Brook:
- Eugenio Calabi, "Extremal singular metrics on surfaces"
- Harold Donnelly, "Nodal sets of eigenfunctions on Riemannian
- Yasha Eliashberg, "Symplectic geometric methods in several complex
- Thomas Farrell, "A topological analogue of Mostow's rigidity
- Lesley Sibner, "Solutions to Yang-Mills equations which are not
- Carlos Simpson, "Moduli spaces of representations of fundamental
1990 at Maryland:
- Michael T. Anderson, "Behavior of metrics under Ricci curvature
- Kevin Corlette, "Harmonic maps and geometric superrigidity"
- Kenji Fukaya, "Fundamental groups of almost non-negatively curved
- Misha Gromov, "Recent progress in symplectic geometry"
- Werner Müller, "On spectral theory for locally symmetric manifolds
with finite volume"
- Rick Schoen, "Least area problems for Lagrangian submanifolds"
- Gudlaugur Thorbergsson, "Isoparametric submanifolds and their Tits
- Shing-Tung Yau, "Some theorems in Kähler geometry"
1991 at Duke:
- Jeff Cheeger, "Transgressed Euler classes of SL(2n,Z)-bundles and adiabatic
limits of eta-invariants"
- Chris Croke, "Volumes of balls in manifolds without conjugate points and
rigidity of geodesic flows"
- Carolyn Gordon, "When you can't hear the shape of a manifold"
- Wu-Yi Hsiang, "Sphere packing and spherical geometry: The Kepler conjecture
- Alan Nadel, "On the geometry of Fano varieties"
- Grigori Perelman, "Alexandrov's spaces with curvature bounded from
- Stefan Stolz, "On the space of positive curvature metrics modulo
1992 at Courant:
- Jonathan Block, "Aperiodic tilings, positive scalar curvature and other
- John Franks, "Infinitely many closed geodesics on the 2-sphere"
- Karsten Grove, "The inevitable presence of singular spaces in Riemannian
- Lisa Jeffrey, "Volumes of moduli spaces of flat connections on Riemannian
- Jun Li, "Anti-self-dual connections on SU(2) bundles over algebraic
- Dusa McDuff, "Symplectic 4-manifolds"
- Clifford Taubes, "Anti-self dual conformal structures in 4 dimensions"
1993 at Penn:
- Shing-Shen Chern, "Finsler geometry"
- Richard Hamilton, "An isoperimetric estimate for the curve-shrinking
- Vaughan Jones, "Loop groups and operator algebras"
- Claude LeBrun, "Compact Kähler manifolds of constant scalar
- Louis Nirenberg, "The maximum principle and related things"
- Xiaochun Rong, "Collapsing in low dimensions and rationality of geometric
- I. M. Singer, "Geometry and quantum field theory"
1995 at Stony Brook:
- Dimitri Burago, "Asymptotic geometry of Zn-periodic
- Tobias Colding, "Ricci curvature and convergence"
- Dominic Joyce, "Compact Riemannian manifolds with exceptional holonomy
- Yael Karshon, "Hamiltonian torus actions"
- David Morrison, "Analogues of Seiberg-Witten invariants for counting curves
on Calabi-Yau manifolds"
- Tom Mrowka, "The Seiberg-Witten equations and 4-manifold topology"
- Yongbin Ruan, "Higher genus pseudo-holomorphic curves"
- Edward Witten, "Monopoles and four-manifolds"
1996 at Maryland:
- J. Baez, "Quantum gravity and BF theory in 4 dimensions"
- Jean-Luc Brylinski, "Gauge groups and reciprocity laws on algebraic
- Bruce Kleiner, "Spaces of nonpositive curvature"
- G. Margulis, "Quantitative Oppenheim Conjecture"
- S. P. Novikov, "Laplace and Darboux transformations"
- Richard Schwartz, "The Devil's Pentagram"
- Guofong Wei, "Volume comparison with integral curvature bounds"
- Shmuel Weinberger, "Equivariant rigidity: For and against"
- Jeanne Nielsen Clelland , "Geometry of Conservation Laws for Parabolic
- Anatole Katok , "Rigidity and invariant geometric structures for
differentiable group actions"
- François Labourie , "Monge-Ampere problems, holomorphic curves and
- Gang Liu, "Floer Homology and the Arnold Conjecture"
- William Minicozzi, "Harmonic functions on manifolds"
- Lorenz Schwachhöfer, "The classification of irreducible holonomies
of torsion free connections"
- Matthias Schwarz, "Symplectic fixed points and quantum cohomology"
- Stephen Semmes, "Geometry with little smoothness"
- Scott Axelrod, "Generalized Chern-Simons invariants as a generalized
Lagrangian field theory"
- Jean-Michel Bismut, "Chern-Simons classes, Bott Chern classes and analytic
- Spencer Bloch, "Algebro-geometric Chern-Simons classes"
- Robert Bryant, "Recent progress on the holonomy classification problem"
- Robert Bryant (for S.-S. Chern),
"Recent results and open problems in Finsler geometry"
Jeff Cheeger and Blaine Lawson, "The mathematical work of James Simons"
- Jeff Cheeger, "Ricci Curvature"
- Jürg Fröhlich, "Physics and the Chern-Simons form
(from anomalies to the quantum Hall effect to magnetic stars)"
- Mikhail Gromov, "Dynamics on function spaces"
- Maxim Kontsevich, "On regulators, critical values and
- Blaine Lawson, "Connections and singularities of maps"
- Robert MacPherson, "Spaces with torus actions"
- John Milnor, "Remarks on geometry and dynamics"
- I.M. Singer, TBA
- Dennis Sullivan "A combinatorial model for non-linearity"
- Clifford Taubes, "Seiberg-Witten invariants, harmonic forms, and their
- Gang Tian, "Yang-Mills connections and calibration"
- C.-N. Yang, "Vector potentials and connections"
- S.-T. Yau, "Mirror symmetry and rational curves"
1999 at Penn:
- Peter Sarnak, "Some spectral problems on negatively curved
- Zheng-xu He, "The gradient flow for the Möbius energy of
- Curtis McMullen, "The moduli space of Riemann surfaces is
- Paul Biran, "Lagrange skeletons and symplectic rigidity"
- Helmut Hofer, Holomorphic curves and contact geometry"
- Werner Ballmann, "On negative curvature and the essential spectrum of
- Shlomo Sternberg, "Multiplets of representations and Kostant's Dirac
2000 at Maryland:
- Samuel Ferguson, "The Kepler Conjecture"
- Robert Meyerhoff, "Rigorous computer-aided proofs in the theory of hyperbolic 3-manifolds"
- Herman Gluck, "Geometry, topology and plasma physics"
- Burkhard Wilking, "New examples of manifolds with positive sectional curvature almost everywhere"
- John Roe, "Amenability and assembly maps"
- Eleny Ionel, "Gromov invariants of symplectic sums"
- Mikhail Gromov, "Spaces of holomorphic maps"
- Robert Bryant, "Rigidity and quasirigidity of extremal cycles in Hermitian
- Tobias Colding, "Embedded minimal surfaces in 3-manifolds"
- Boris Dubrovin, "Normal forms of integrable PDE's"
- John Lott, "Heat equation methods in noncommutative geometry"
- Dusa McDuff, "Seminorms on the Hamiltonian group and the nonsqueezing
- Rick Schoen, "Variational approaches to the construction minimal lagrangian
- Shing-Tung Yau, "Mirror symmetry"
- Denis Auroux,
"Singular plane curves and topological invariants of symplectic manifolds"
- Hugh Bray, "On the mass of higher dimensional black holes"
- Alice Chang, "Conformally invariant operators and the Gauss-Bonnet
- Xiuxiong Chen,"The space of Kähler metrics"
- George Daskalopoulos,"On the Yang-Mills flow in higher dimensions"
- Alex Eskin, "Billiards and lattices"
- Juha Heinonen, "On the existence of quasiregular mappings"
- Bennett Chow, "Harnack estimates of Li-Yau-Hamilton type for the Ricci flow"
- Anda Degeratu, "Geometrical McKay Correspondance"
- Ron Donagi, "Griffiths' intermediate Jacobians, integrable systems,
and string theory"
- John Etnyre, "Legendrian knots in high dimensions"
- Joe Harris, "Are Cubics Rational?"
- Claude LeBrun, "Zoll Manifolds, Complex Surfaces, and Holomorphic Disks"
- John Morgan, "Variations of Hodge structure for 1-parameter families
of Calabi-Yau three-folds"
- Madhav Nori, "A modified Hodge conjecture"
- Justin Sawon, "Twisted Fourier-Mukai transforms for
holomorphic symplectic manifolds"
- Wilfried Schmid, "Automorphic distributions, L-functions,
and functional equations"
- Jeff Viaclovsky, "Fully nonlinear equations and conformal geometry"
- Claire Voisin, "K-correspondences and intrinsic pseudovolume forms"
- Jean-Michel Bismut, "The Hypoelliptic Laplacian on the Cotangent Bundle"
- Yasha Eliashberg, "Positive Loops of Contact Transformations"
- Blaine Lawson, "Projective Hulls and the Projective Gelfand Transformation"
- Dusa McDuff, "Applications of J-holomorphic Curves"
- Xiaochun Rong, "Local splitting structures on nonpositively curved manifolds"
- Dennis Sullivan, "Algebraic topology in string backgrounds"
- Gang Tian, "Extremal Metrics and Holomorphic Discs"
- Edward Witten, "Gauge Theory Scattering From Curves In CP3"
- Nancy Hingston, "Periodic solutions of Hamilton's equations on tori"
- Sergiu Klainerman, "Null hypersurfaces and curvature estimates
in general relativity"
- Bruce Kleiner, "Singular structure of mean curvature flow"
- Frank Pacard, "Blowing up Kahler manifolds with constant scalar curvature"
- Rahul Pandharipande, "A topological view of Gromov-Witten theory"
- Igor Rodniansky, "Non-linear waves and Einstein geometry"
- Yum-Tong Siu, "Methods of singular metrics in algebraic geometry"
- Katrin Wehrheim, "Floer theories in symplectic topology and gauge theory"
- Jeff Cheeger, "Differentiation, bi-Lipschitz nonembedding and embedding"
- Charles Fefferman, "Fitting a smooth function to data"
- Helmut Hofer, "On the analytic and geometric foundations of
symplectic field theory"
- Ko Honda, "Reeb vector fields and open book decompositions"
- William Meeks, "The Dynamics Theorem for embedded minimal surfaces"
- Yair Minsky, "Asymptotic geometry of the mapping class group"
- Frank Morgan, "Manifolds with Density"
- Zoltan Szabo, "Link Floer homology and the Thurston norm"
- Dan Freed, "Secondary differential-geometric invariants,
generalized cohomology, and QCD"
- Xiaobo Lu, "Mean curvature flow for isoparametric submanifolds"
- Vitali Kapovith, "Some open problems in comparison geometry"
- Maryam Mirzakhani, Lattice point asymptotics and conformal densities
on Teichmüller space
- Charles Epstein, "Stein fillings and index theorems"
- Guoliang Yu, "Group actions and K-theory"
- Simon Brendle, "Blow-up phenomena for the Yamabe PDE in high dimensions"
- Michael Anderson, "Conformally compact Einstein metrics with prescribed
- Robert Bryant,"Riemannian Submersions as PDE"
- Greg Galloway, "Stability of marginally trapped surfaces with
applications to black holes"
- Marcus Khuri, "The Yamabe Problem Revisited"
- John Lott, "Optimal transport in Riemannian geometry and Ricci flow"
- William Minicozzi, "The rate of change of width under flows"
- Duong Phong, "Stability and constant scalar curvature"
- Jeff Viaclovsky, "Orthogonal Complex Structures"