Math 331: Mathematical Problem Solving with Computers
Spring 2005

Navigating this page:

General Course Information:

The text

Here you can download the text: Notes for Mat331, Mathematical Problem Solving with Computers, by Santiago Simanca and Scott Sutherland, Summer 2002 edition.  

You can also buy copies of the first two chapters of the book at the Undergraduate Office, Math Tower, P-134.

Other useful information about using Maple can be found in various places on the web, including a collection of maple resources at Indiana University, the Maple lab manual from Worcester Polytechnical Institute, and, of course, the home of Maple at Waterloo Maple Software. You can purchase a student version of maple for your own computer at the Seawolves Market place for $5.
Classwork, Homework and Projects
Computer resources

We will use the math computer lab in S-235 of the math tower; this lab contains 30 Sun workstations running Unix, as well as a number of PCs running Windows 2000. We will be using the Unix machines in class; however, much of the work can be done on other systems.

We will rely heavily on Maple (a program that can do algebra, calculus, graphics, etc.), although if other tools are better suited to the task, we may make use of them. No previous experience with computers is needed.

Maple is available for most platforms (Windows, Macintosh, Unix, etc.); student version of Maple can be purchased from Waterloo Maple for $120. Seawolves Market Place will be selling the Maple CDs ($5). You can also use the campus modem pool to dial-in to the mathlab computers, or access them via the internet.


Grading Policy

Your grade will be based on the projects, the homeworks, and in-class participation.There will be no exams. Both the expository and computational aspects of the project write-ups will be graded.
I expect you to read along in the text, and actively participate in classroom discussions.
  • Homework problems:    50%
  • Projects:                          40%
  • Class Participation:        10%

  • Special Needs
    If you have a physical, psychological, medical or learning disability that may impact your course work, please contact Disability Support Services, ECC (Educational Communications Center) Building, room 128, (631) 632-6748. They will determine with you what accommodations are necessary and appropriate. All information and documentation is confidential.
    Students requiring emergency evacuation are encouraged to discuss their needs with their professors and Disability Support Services. For procedures and information, go to the following web site.