This course is the second semester of the three-semester calculus sequence MAT 125, 126 and 127. We will study integration. We will often use the theory of differentiation, which was covered in MAT 125, and also trigonometry.
Textbook:: Single Variable Calculus Stony Brook University Edition, by James Stewart, Cengage Learning , 2005.
Check the syllabus to determine which sections will be covered each week, and come to class having read those sections. Reading the textbook will greatly increase your comprehension of the lectures and enable you to ask useful questions in class. Furthermore, the lecturers and recitation instructors will not always be able to cover all of the subject material for which you will be responsible. Note that mathematical texts are not meant to be read like novels: very often you will come across passages that must be read several times before they make sense to you.
Math Tower, 4-109
Phone: 631- 632-8271
e-mail: mmovshev ad math dot sunysb dot edu
Who's your instructor?
Course Information(Grading &etc.)
Syllabus and Homework
Academic Calendar Fall 2009
MAT 126: Calculus B Prerequisite: C or higher in MAT 125 or 131 or 141 or AMS 151 or level 6 on the mathematics placement examination
Diagnostic Quiz There will be a diagnostic quiz on Th./Fr. of the week of Sept. 6th--12th. Participation is mandatory. The main purpose of this quiz is diagnostic; to catch developing situations before they become serious problems. Thus grading will be as follows: all participating students will receive 0.5% extra credit for the total score of the class. And excellent scores on the quiz will receive an additional 0.5% extra credit for a total of 1% extra credit for the total score of the class.Practice Diagnostic Quiz.
Midterm I Wednesday October 7 8:30pm-10pm(Sections 6,7 Javits 102, Sections 8,10,90 Javits 110, the rest Javits 100) Exam covers Sections 5.1-5.3, plus the review sections (3.1-3.5, 3.7, 4.9 to the extent covered in the homework assignments)Practice Midterm I solutions . Midterm I grade distribution.
Midterm II, Wednesday November 4 8:30pm-10pm(Sections 6,7 Javits 102, Sections 8,10,90 Javits 110, the rest Javits 100) Exam covers Sections 5.4-5.7 , plus 5.9 eMidterm II grade distribution.
Final Exam: Monday, December 14, 8:15PM-10:45PM. For the exam all sections go the Arena (Gym on the other side of the driveway across the Physics building)
Useful information regarding the course will be regularly posted on this web site, and can be accessed by pointing your browser to
DSS advisory. If
you have a physical, psychological, medical, or learning disability
that may affect your course work, please contact Disability Support
Services (DSS) office: ECC (Educational Communications Center)
Building, room 128, telephone (631) 632-6748/TDD. DSS will determine
with you what accommodations are necessary and appropriate.
Arrangements should be made early in the semester (before the first
exam) so that your needs can be accommodated. All information and
documentation of disability is confidential. Students requiring
emergency evacuation are encouraged to discuss their needs with their
professors and DSS. For procedures and information, go to the
following web site http://www.ehs.sunysb.edu
search Fire safety and Evacuation and Disabilities.