The Antikythera Mechanism I
With Java animations by Bill Casselman
- Allan Bromley, Notes on the Antikythera Mechanism, Centaurus
29 (1986) pp. 5-27. Bromley proposes a plausible gearing plan,
different in some important details from Price's. The differences do
not involve either of the gear assemblys examined here.
- Derek de Solla Price, Gears from the Greeks - The Antikythera
Mechanism, A Calendar Computer from ca. 80 B.C., Transactions of
the American Philosophical Society 64, part 7 1974
- Derek de Solla Price, An Ancient Greek Computer, Scientific American
June 1959 pp. 60-67
- C. D. Olds, Continued Fractions, Random House (New
Mathematical Library) New York 1963. (The result quoted is Theorem
3.8 on p. 74).
- E. C. Zeeman, Gears from the Greeks, Proceedings of the
Royal Institution (G.B.) 58 (1986) 137-156
© copyright 2000, American Mathematical Society.