VITA: Anthony V. Phillips
Date and Place of Birth: October 11, 1938; New York City
Education: Baccalauréat, Académie de Paris (New York) 1956
B.S., M.S., Massachusetts Institute of Technology, 1960
Diplôme d'Études Supérieures, Université de
Ph.D., Princeton University, 1966
- Instructor, University of California, Berkeley, 1965-1967
- Lecturer, University of California, Berkeley, 1967-1968
- Assistant Professor, SUNY at Stony Brook, 1968-1970
- Participant in National Academy of Sciences - Soviet Academy Exchange,
Steklov Institute, Moscow, Spring term - 1969
- Associate Professor, SUNY at Stony Brook, 1970-1974
- Member, Institute for Advanced Study, 1971-1972
- Professor, SUNY at Stony Brook, 1974-present
- Visiting Professor, PUC-Rio de Janeiro, Fall, 1975
- Visiting Professor, Université Paris VII, 1977-1978
- Visiting Professor, Scuola Normale Superiore, Pisa, Fall, 1985
- Visitor, Deutsches Elektronen-Synchrotron (DESY), Hamburg, March, 1986
- Visiting Professor, University of Rome "La Sapienza," Spring, 1986
- Head Coach, Summer Institute, Geometry Center, University of Minnesota,
- Visiting Professor, Summer School, Universidade Federal de
Pernambuco, Recife, January 1996
- Co-Chair, Mathematics Department, SUNY at Stony Brook 1996-97
- Chair, 1997-2000
- Acting Director, Mathematics Secondary Teacher Preparation Program 2000-2002
- Visiting Fellow, Yale University, Spring 2002
- Co-director, Mathematics Secondary Teacher Preparation Program 2002
- Associate Dean for Curriculum, College of Arts and Sciences 2003-2006
- Mathematics Executive Officer, Simons Center for Geometry and Physics 2008
- Director, Mathematics Secondary Teacher Preparation Program 2009-2010
- Interim Chair, Department of Art 2010-2011
- Turning a surface inside-out, Sc. Am., 214, No. 5
- Submersions of open manifolds, Topology 6 (1967), 171-206.
- Foliations on open manifolds, Comm. Math. Helv. 43
- Foliations on open manifolds, II, Comm. Math. Helv. 44
- Smooth maps transverse to a foliation, Bull. A.M.S.
76 (1970), 792-797.
- Smooth maps of constant rank. Bull. A.M.S. 80
- Geometry of leaves (with D. Sullivan), Topology 20 (1981),
- The Euler cycle of a foliation (with D. Stone), J.
Diff. Geom., 15 (1980), 39-50.
- Characteristic numbers of U(1)-valued lattice gauge fields, Ann.
Phys., 161 (1985), 399-422.
- A reliable topological algorithm for the topological charge of
SU(2) lattice gauge fields (with G. Lasher and D. Stone),
Quark Confinement and Liberation, World Scientific (1985).
- Lattice gauge fields, principal bundles and the calculation of
topological charge (with D. Stone), Commun. Math. Phys., 103
- Lattice gauge fields and Chern-Weil theory (with D. Stone), in
Proceedings, (1985) Georgia Topology Conference, C. McCrory and T.
Shifrin, eds. Lecture Notes in Pure and Applied Math., 105 Marcel
Dekker, Inc., New York, (1987), 211-231.
- Lattice gauge fields and topology (with D. Stone) in Lattice Gauge
Theory '86, H. Satz, I. Harrity and J. Potvin, eds., Plenum, New
- Computation of characteristic classes of lattice gauge fields (with
D. Stone), Commun. Math. Physics. 131 (1990) 255-282
- An Algorithm for the detection of Abelian monopoles in SU(2)-valued
Lattice gauge - Higgs systems (with D. Stone), Commun.
Math. Physics. 137 (1991) 231-247
- A Topological Chern-Weil theory (with D. Stone), Memoirs
of the Amer. Math. Soc. 105 #504,
79 pages, September 1993
- The Chern-Simons character of a lattice gauge field (with
D. Stone), in Louis Kauffman and Randy Baadhio, (eds.),
"Quantum Topology," World Scientific 1993, 244-291 Abstract. Full text (PostScript).
- Self-intersection of curves on the punctured torus
(with Moira Chas), Experimental Mathematics 19 (2010) 129-148
of curves in the doubly-punctured plane
(with Moira Chas) Experimental Mathematics, 21:1 (2012), 26-37
simple geodesics on the triply punctured sphere (with Moira Chas and Curtis McMullen)
Mathematische Zeitschrift 291 (2019) 1175-1196 (arXiv posting).
- Impossible configurations for geodesics on negatively-curved surfaces
B. Exposition, Reviews, Cultural Mathematics, etc.
Back to Tony's home page.
- Topology (Entry in Encyclopedia Americana) (1970).
- Geometry's amazing new uses, Search 8 (1978), 28-35.
- Fiber Bundles and Quantum Theory (with H. Bernstein), Scientific
Am. 245, No.1 (1981), 122-137. Translated in Uspekhi Fizicheskikh Nauk 136, 665-692 (1982)
- Review of "Geometric Theory of Foliations" by C. Camacho and A.
Lins Neto, Amer. Math. Monthly 96 (1989) 71-76
- Topology of Labryrinths, in M. Emmer (ed.) L'occhio di Horus:
itinerari nell'imaginario mathematico, Istituto della Enciclopedia
Italiana, Roma (1989)
- The topology of Roman mosaic mazes, Leonardo 25 (1992) 321-329
(reprinted in Michele Emmer, (ed.), The Visual Mind: Art and
Mathematics, MIT Press 1993, 65-73) Abstract.
- Editor, What's New in Mathematics (on AMS web-page :
http://www.ams.org) 2/1999 - 2/2002;
Math in the Media (monthly column) 2/1999 -
Contributor to Feature Column 2/2002 -
- Review of "The invention of Infinity" by J. V. Field, Notices of the
Amer. Math. Soc 47,1 (2000) 46-50
- Review of "Fragments of Infinity" by Ivars Peterson, Notices of the
Amer. Math. Soc 49,10 (2002)
- Il romanzo della contabilità in partita doppia
[The romance of double-entry bookkeeping], in Matematica e
Cultura 2003 (M. Emmer, ed.) Springer-Verlag Italia 2003
- Meander mazes on polysphericons, in The Visual Mind II
(Michele Emmer, ed.) MIT Press 2005
- Review of "Shadows of Reality" by Tony Robbin, Notices of the
Amer. Math. Soc. 54,4 (2007) 506-510
- Simmetrie fronte-retro in manufatti tessili del periodo pre-Inca
[Front-back symmetries in Pre-Incan textiles],
in Matematica e Cultura 2007 (M. Emmer, ed.) Springer-Verlag Italia 2007
- Sphere eversion sketches exhibited at the Walker Art Center,
Minneapolis; an item in the show:
"The Quick and the Dead",
- Il canto delle maree [The song of the tides], in
Matematica e Cultura 2011 (M. Emmer, ed.)
Springer-Verlag Italia 2011
- Review of "Galileo's Muse: Renaissance Mathematics and the Arts" by
Mark A. Peterson, Notices of the
Amer. Math. Soc. Nov. 2012, 1435-1442
- Fragments of Three Tablets from Ur III Nippur with Drawings of Labyrinths (with Jöran Friberg), Chapter 14 in Jöran Friberg and Farouk N. Al-Rawi, New Mathematical Cuneiform Texts, Springer 2017
- The sound of topology: two-dimensional manifolds in Bach (with Eric L.
Altschuler), The Musical Times, Winter 2015, 57-64
- A new type of classical labyrinth, from Mesopotamia (with Jöran Friberg), in Imagine Maths 5 (M. Emmer. ed.), UMI, Unione Matematica
Italiana, Bologna & IVSLA, Istituto Veneto di Scienze, Lettere e Arti,
- Seventeen years of "Math in the Media" on the American Mathematical
Society website, in Imagine Maths 5 (M. Emmer. ed.), UMI, Unione Matematica
Italiana, Bologna & IVSLA, Istituto Veneto di Scienze, Lettere e Arti,
- The numbers behind Plimpton 322, N. A. B. U. (Notices Assyriologiques Brèves et Utilitaires) 2017/3, #84. For background, etc. see the
arXiv posting, October 2015.
- Colored strip patterns and front-back symmetry in warp-faced pre-Colombian textiles, Leonardo Just Accepted publication July 31, 2018.