MAT 598 Teaching Practicum, Fall 2017
- This course is designed for first-time teaching assistants.
- Grading is S/U.
- The class meetings will be held regularly during the first
few weeks of the term, and then as needed. Students will have at
least one class visit early in the term, and one class will be
video recorded and analyzed with the instructor.
- S grade requires attendance at scheduled meetings and
participation in exercises.
- Students will be loaned copies of Teaching Mathematics in Colleges and Universities: Case Studies for Today's Classroom: Graduate Student Edition
by Solomon Friedberg. They will take turns preparing and presenting
case studies from the text.
- Students will be encouraged to implement active learning
in their instruction. A solid body of research (e.g.
"Active learning increases student performance in science, engineering, and mathematics"
by Scott Freeman et al. in the Proceedings of the National
Academy of Sciences, 2014) shows that this leads to significantly
better outcomes in undergraduate STEM instruction.
- Each student will present to the group a 15-minute demonstration
of how active learning can be applied to a topic from his/her course.
Aug 9, 2017