MAT 311 -- Information about Project 1
Project 1 should be handed in by 03/06. Please select one of the topics
listed below. You need to make your selection and also inform me of it by
2/20. All programming projects and Computing and Programming Exercises (CPE) are taken from the 4th edition of Rosen's textbook.
For any of the programming projects, please email me
at firstname.lastname@example.org the program
source code (in readable form -- indented and commented), and hand in the program outline
and a reasonable amount of program output. You can use any programming language
you like (within reasonable limits - i.e., a language for which there exist easily
available compilers). Preferred ones are Maple,
Mathematica (yes, they are programming languages), C,
OCAML and Java, but you can also use C++, Pascal,
Python, Fortran, Lisp, Turing machine...
- A proof that the rational and algebraic numbers are countable and
that the irrationals and transcendental numbers are not.
- A short (2 to 4 typed pages) biography of a prominent number theorist.
- A proof of unique factorization in Z+Z[i] (where i is
the imaginary unit).
- Programming project 1.3.1
- CPE 3.1.16
- Programming project 3.3.5.
- CPE 3.4.2
- CPE 4.4.2
- Programming project 4.5.1.
- Programming project 4.6.1.
- Programming project 5.1.2.
Back to MAT 311 home page