The text for MAT125, 126, 127, 131, and 132 is the same, and is
Single Variable Calculus(Stony Brook Edition 4), by James Stewart.
Note that access to WebAssign is required in these courses.
If you buy the text from Amazon, it is Stewart's Single Variable Calculus: Concepts and Context Enhanced, 4th ed and costs $249.95. Be careful if buying other versions of this text, since they may not include access to WebAssign. This is particularly true for used copies.
There are many other, cheaper, options.
- Buy a (new) printed copy
directly from the publisher for $169, bundled with
WebAssign access for many semesters (ie, MAT125+126+127 or MAT131+132),
together with an electronic copy of the text. (This is called an "ePack"
on the site).
There is also an electronic-only version of text+Webassign for $125 on the same website. If that's what you want, that's OK too.
- Buy Webassign only, either with an electronic copy of the text or not.
There are four pricing options:
- Multiple-term version, either with an electronic text ($125)
or without ($65).
Students in MAT125 and MAT131 should probably buy the multi-term version, since they can use it in the next course as well. Those in MAT132 or MAT127 only need the single-term version (unless they expect to fail the class); For students in MAT126, the choice depends on if you plan to take MAT127 afterwards.
- Single-term version: $100 for a version with an e-book, $47 without the e-book.
Students get WebAssign access (with the electronic text) free for the first two weeks of class, so it is not necessary to purchase right away.
- Multiple-term version, either with an electronic text ($125) or without ($65).
- Some places will rent the textbook for about $15-20 per semester, but it doesn't include WebAssign-- you'll need to get that separately.
- The 3rd edition is very similar to the 4th edition (although the homework problems have different numbers, and some sections have changed a little). Used copies can be found for about $6. This might be a good option if you want a paper text for reference, and purchase WebAssign separately.