The text for MAT125, 126, 127, 131, and 132 is
Single Variable Calculus(Stony Brook Edition 4), by James Stewart.
This comes bundled with an access card for multi-semester access to WebAssign (which also includes an electronic copy of the text).
Note that access to WebAssign is required in these courses.
The bookstore sells the text for $211.50 (new) or $158.65 used. The text is identical to the version that Amazon sells for $208.53 ($73.08 used) (Stewart's Single Variable Calculus: Concepts, 4th ed) except for the cover (and the fact that Webassign is not included) because we made a deal with the publisher to reduce the price for Stony Brook students.
But there are other, cheaper, options.
- Buy it directly from the publisher for $148. This is the same version that the bookstore sells. Since it comes with electronic access to the textbook, waiting for it to ship shouldn't be too much of a hardship.
- Buy Webassign only, either with an electronic copy of the text or not.
There are four pricing options:
- Multiple-term version, either with an electronic text ($110)
or without ($65).
Students in MAT125 and MAT131 should probably buy the multi-term version, since they can use it in the next course as well. Those in MAT132 or MAT127 only need the single-term version (unless they expect to fail); For students in MAT126, the answer depends on if you plan to take MAT127 afterwards.
- Single-term version: $75 for a version with an e-book, $47 without the e-book.
Students get webassign access (with the electronic text) free for the first two weeks of class, so it is not necessary to purchase right away.
- Multiple-term version, either with an electronic text ($110) or without ($65).
- Amazon will rent the textbook for about $20 per semester, but it doesn't include WebAssign; this is probably not a good option.
- The 3rd edition is very similar to the 4th edition (although the homework problems have different numbers, and some sections have changed a little). Used copies can be found for about $6. This might be a good option if you want a paper text for reference, and purchase WebAssign separately.