Advanced Algebra, Digital Second Edition
Published by the author, 2016.
Digital version in PDF only, freely distributed, not to be sold.
Distributed by Project Euclid free of charge with ISBN
A companion volume Basic Algebra, Digital Second Edition,
It has no ISBN.
Transition to Modern Number Theory
Wedderburn-Artin Ring Theory
Three Theorems in Algebraic Number Theory
Reinterpretation with Adeles and Ideles
Infinite Field Extensions
Background for Algebraic Geometry
The Number Theory of Algebraic Curves
Methods of Algebraic Geometry
The following files are available at the
Differences between the digital second
edition (2016) and the second printing of the first edition (2015):
- Front cover and whole inside of the book in PDF,
- Whole inside of the book in PDF,
- Front cover in JPG.
Corrections to the digital second edition:
- The front cover has been redone.
- Pages i through iv of the front matter are completely changed to
reflect the changed nature of the
- The term "revised edition" in the 2015 version has been changed
to "second edition" in the 2016 edition.
- A preface to the second edition has been included, replacing the
final paragraph of the preface in the 2015 version. The name of
the preface in the 2015 version has been changed to "Preface to the
First Edition" in the 2016 edition.
- The length of the front matter has been increased by 2
pages. In particular, the page numbers of the section "Notation
and Terminology" in the front matter have changed from the 2015 version
and appropriate changes have been made to the index and to other spots
in the text that refer to these pages.
- The order of the pages in the front matter has been changed, with
the table of contents adjusted appropriately.
- The font has been changed for the next-to-last page before page 1.
- A systematic error in the left-hand running heads for Chapter II
has been corrected.
- Mathematical misprints on lines 8 and 9 of page 213 have been
fixed in the 2016 edition.
- A small number of other typographical errors, about two, have
At present there are no corrections to the digital second edition.
Last modified: 7/29/2018